Autumn Pie Workshop
Sunday October 17th 10:45am – 4pm
Join us at Nova Bakehouse for a hands on class dedicated to the art of creating pie with fresh milled, UK grown heritage flour and seasonal fruit.
During this class you will explore how to use heritage wholegrains in pastry, beginning with the opportunity to fresh mill the flour for your very own pie. We will explore the sensory attributes of heritage grains and discuss their flavour when it comes to pairing with seasonal fruits.
We will talk pie technique, when to blind bake, when to use a single crust vs a double crust, how best to prepare your fruit, tips and tricks and troubleshooting for all your pie predicaments.
This class is designed to make pie more approachable, with advice on how to break down the stages to make impressive pies a whole lot easier to create at home.
What you will learn –
• Intro to heritage flour for pastry applications.
• How to make the perfect flaky pie pastry.
• How to properly line an enamel pie tin.
• How to weave pastry to create a lattice top for your pie.
• Seasonal fruit pie filling.
• Crimping techniques.
What is included and what you will take home –
• Refreshments throughout the day and lunch will be provided
• All ingredients and equipment required for the class.
• Enamel pie tin to keep for your future pie baking.
• Recipe demonstrations of accompaniments to serve alongside your pie
• Recipes from the workshop
• Lattice topped fruit pie to take home.